State Of Insecurity: Hundreds of girls released by gunmen in Nigeria

Image shows buses carrying the girls
The state governor tweeted this image of the girls being transported

A group of nearly 300 girls who were kidnapped from a school in north-western Nigeria last week have been released, a local official says.

The girls were abducted by unidentified gunmen from their boarding school in Jangebe, Zamfara state, on Friday and taken to a forest, police said, but on Monday, the state’s governor said the group had been freed and the girls were now safe.

Dozens of the girls were seen gathered at a government building in Zamfara. “It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students… from captivity”, Governor Bello Matawalle wrote on Twitter. “This follows the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts,” he added. “I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe.”

Map

The authorities said 279 girls had been freed, saying a figure given last week by police that 317 were kidnapped was inaccurate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s