Surfer dies after shark attack in Australia

A surfer has died after being bitten by a shark at a beach north of Sydney, Australian authorities said Tuesday.a man carrying a surf board walking into the ocean: Australia was the deadliest country in the world for shark bites in 2020Australia was the deadliest country in the world for shark bites in 2020

Paramedics were called to Tuncurry Beach, about three hours’ drive from Australia’s most populous city following reports of the attack on Tuesday morning.

“Despite the best efforts of paramedics and bystanders at the scene, the man could not be resuscitated,” New South Wales Ambulance tweeted.

The man, believed to be in his 50s, went into cardiac arrest after being bitten on his thigh, a spokesman told AFP. Police said he was surfing when the attack occurred.

The New South Wales state government’s SharkSmart organisation said beaches in the area had been closed until further notice following the incident.

It was the first fatal shark attack recorded in Australian waters this year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society Australia.

There were 26 maulings in 2020, eight of them fatal, data from the government agency shows.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s