Marine General relived of duty after training incident in California killed 9 soldiers

The Marine Corps announced on Wednesday that the former Commanding General of 1st Marine Division is being relieved of duty pending an ongoing investigation into a training accident that killed nine troops off the coast of southern California last summer.a man wearing a suit and tie: FORT KNOX, KY - MAY 31: A member of the Honor Guard stands with the peaked cap of the US Marine Corps during a Memorial Day ceremony in the Fort Knox Main Post Cemetery on May 31, 2021 in Fort Knox, Kentucky. Authorities say a training accident in July 2020 that killed 9 Marine Corps troops could have been preventable.

Maj. Gen. Robert F. Castellvi has been suspended from his position as inspector general of the Marine Corps since April, and will now be temporarily relieved of duty for failing to give troops proper training, the Associated Press reported.

Assistant Commandant Gen. Gary Thomas said 11 other Marine officials have previously been removed from their jobs or received disciplinary action, or will be held accountable for their roles in the accident.

“Some of these accountability actions are ongoing, including boards to consider separation from the service,” Thomas said. “We make decisions regarding accountability based on an individual’s responsibilities, and the performance of duties. An individual’s rank neither obligates nor excuses them from accountability.”

The training accident 70 miles off San Diego’s coast was one of the deadliest for the Marines in recent years. Leaders said it could have been prevented.

An investigation by the maritime branch found the accident July 30 off San Clemente Island was caused by inadequate training, shabby maintenance of the 35-year-old amphibious assault vehicles and poor judgment by commanders.

It said Castellvi “bears some responsibility.” The investigation found the troops had not received appropriate instruction on escaping the amphibious assault vehicle quickly, and the unit had not completed a required evaluation meant to address any issues before the exercise. Castellvi could not be immediately reached for comment.

The Marine Corps said the commandant “personally and formally counseled him for his failure to properly train the Marines and Sailors for whom he was entrusted and for the inadequate evaluation of the AAV Platoon.”

The Marine Corps first reached out to the families of the eight Marines and one sailor who were killed, some of whom had questioned why no generals were being held accountable.

Castellvi was the commanding general of the 1st Marine Division, of Camp Pendleton, north of San Diego, during the exercise. He became Marine Corps inspector general several weeks after the tragedy.

The action against Castellvi will go on his permanent record and will be taken into consideration as to whether the Marine Corps will promote or retain him. Typically such an action prevents an officer from being promoted or serving in a role charged with the responsibility of caring for troops, the Marine Corps said.

Action was taken against 11 other Marine officials who were previously removed from their jobs or otherwise disciplined.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s